A brand of Chinese chocolates called Gong xiFacai has been taken off shelves
in New York due to incorrect and inaccurate labeling. According to routine
tests performed on random samples of the potentially dangerous consumer
products, they contained undeclared allergens. The allergens were peanuts
and milk, and for any New York resident who is severely allergic to these
ingredients, they have the potential for causing serious reactions, permanent
injury and even death.
The recall was announced by the distributer of the chocolates after tests
were performed by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
Food Inspectors. A normal sampling of the chocolates revealed that peanuts
and milk could be found in them. Fortunately, even though these allergens
have the potential for causing serious reactions, no illnesses or injuries
have yet to be reported by consumers who ingested the product.
Those in possession of these chocolates may wish to return them to the
store where they purchased them for a refund immediately. They are certainly
encouraged not to eat them. Any further questions about the ingredients
contained in the chocolates can be directed to the company.
It is vital for food manufacturers to accurately label the ingredients
found in their products. Indeed, some people who come in contact with
even a small amount of peanuts can go into potentially deadly anaphylactic
shock. Consumers in New York who suspect that they or loved ones were
injured or killed by dangerous consumer products may wish to investigate
the strengths and weaknesses of pursuing a personal injury or wrongful
death claim for damages. If an individual is hurt because of a product
defect, the manufacturer of the product can be held liable for damages
in many cases.
Source: fda.gov, "Domega NY International Co Ltd Issues Allergy Alert On Undeclared
Peanuts And Milk In Gong Xifacai Gift Chocolates" , June 17, 2014