New York is no stranger to semi-trucks and commercial vehicles. The state of New York alone provides more than 285,000 jobs for people in the trucking industry. As of 2019, our state was home to more than 37,590 trucking companies, most of them being small and locally owned businesses. As you can imagine, the city of New York City is no stranger to these vehicles. Box trucks, delivery trucks, and other trucks carrying large loads travel the streets of New York City every day and cause numerous accidents.
Although we want to believe that semi-trucks are rarely involved in accidents, this is far from the truth. These trucks bring with them the potential for dangerous accidents that frequently cause injuries. Given the size and weight of commercial vehicles, victims who are involved in accidents with them are at an increased risk of suffering life-altering injuries.
Many truck accident victims require both immediate medical attention and long-term care and treatment. Not only are victims forced to endure mental and physical consequences, but towering medical costs, lost wages, and other costs make moving forward even more challenging. For this reason, it is imperative that truck accident victims seek the guidance of a skilled and knowledgeable truck accident attorney in New York City as soon as possible.
At Sullivan & Brill, LLP, our truck accident attorneys investigate the details of your accident and help you build a claim against the driver and their trucking company. These claims help provide the compensation you need to cover costly medical bills, as well as any repair costs you may have incurred from the accident. We also represent victims of 18 wheeler and tractor-trailer accidents on highways and interstates throughout the New York City metro area.
Schedule your free case evaluation with Sullivan & Brill, LLP today. We are ready to fight for you.
How Our Team Can Help You After a Truck Accident
If you are injured in a truck accident in New York City, the last thing you need is to have to worry about navigating the complex legal system in order to get the justice and compensation you need and deserve. Working with a legal team can help to ensure your legal rights and best interests are protected as you move forward and recover.
Our team at Sullivan & Brill, LLP works diligently to provide our clients with an array of services to ensure they are in the best position possible to hold wrongdoers accountable and get them the justice and compensation they deserve. Some of the services our team helps clients with include:
- Investigating the accident to find out what caused the accident and why.
- Gathering evidence from the scene of the accident, such as pictures and surveillance videos.
- Working with experts who can recreate your accident to show critical details in support of your claim.
- Gathering evidence and documents from law enforcement, medical professionals, and various other parties.
- Valuating your claim by determining the total lost wages and earnings, property repair or replacement expenses, and various other financial burdens you face.
- Keeping you informed throughout the entire legal process so you know what to expect at all times and moving forward.
- Providing knowledgeable and effective legal representation in your best interests.
- Negotiating full and fair settlements on your behalf or providing representation in court whenever necessary.
If you have been in an accident caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another driver, it is crucial that you reach out to a truck accident attorney in New York City as soon as possible. You may have an array of legal options available to help you recover the compensation you need and deserve from those who cause you harm.
Truck Accident Statistics in New York City
New York City would come to a screeching halt if we were unable to have semi-trucks and commercial vehicles travel throughout the city on a daily basis. These vehicles bring valuables to stores and businesses across all five boroughs. Although we see a substantial number of trucks make successful deliveries throughout the area, they are involved in accidents regularly. In fact, truck accidents are involved in approximately 49% of all collisions in New York City each day.
Statistics from 2018 surrounding truck accidents in New York City demonstrate these alarming trends:
- In Manhattan, truck accidents account for 30.2% of collisions, or 5,428
- In Brooklyn, 27.9% of accidents include trucks, or 5,028
- In Queens, roughly 21.8% of accidents involved semi-trucks, or 3,290
- In the Bronx, these accidents make up 17.8%, or 3,205
- Staten Island, these accidents make up 2.2%, or 401
Roughly 63% of all truck accidents involve at least two vehicles. In addition, studies show that these accidents can happen for a variety of reasons. In most cases, driver errors cause truck accidents that lead to injuries. Reports provided by the New York Police Department show that there are six leading causes of semi-truck accidents throughout the city. These include:
- Drivers who are distracted while operating their vehicles (30.4%)
- Drivers who follow too closely or tailgate (11.5%)
- Drivers who pass improperly or too close to others (10.7%)
- Drivers who fail to yield the right of way to others (8%)
- Drivers who speed or engage in aggressive driving behaviors (2.2%)
- Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol (1.2%)
Given how congested roads are across New York City, distracted drivers are an overwhelming problem for cars, trucks, bicycles, buses, and bicyclists sharing the road. Drivers who engage in conversations, those who eat and drive, people who text or use their cell phones, those changing GPS and radios, and engaging in other distracting accidents account for nearly one out of every three accidents.
Truck accidents can cause severe disruptions to the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple. Not only do these accidents create major delays in traffic, but they often cause moderate damage to vehicles and life-altering injuries to victims.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is crucial that you act quickly to protect your legal rights. Our team at Sullivan & Brill, LLP is available to meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss legal options available for you.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in New York City
Like other vehicle collisions, there are a variety of reasons why those involving semi-trucks and commercial vehicles take place. Although commercial vehicle licensees are often considered to be above-average in terms of quality, they can make mistakes and errors like most other drivers. In fact, negligence and other driver errors contribute to roughly 50% of all truck accidents.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration compiled a report surrounding the leading causes of truck accidents. These include:
Brake Failure: Mechanical defects like brake failure account for nearly 29% of semi-truck accidents each year.
Speeding: People who travel too fast along our roadways account for roughly 23% of accidents involving semi-trucks each year. Given the size and weight of semi-trucks, accidents involving speeding drivers are more likely to end with catastrophic or fatal injuries for those involved.
Unfamiliar Roadways: Drivers who are unfamiliar with roadways account for nearly 22% of truck accidents each year. Not knowing how to navigate through various places can increase the chances that drivers are unprepared to react.
Problematic Roadways: Broken, damaged, or uneven surfaces contribute to around 20% of truck accidents each year. When roadways are problematic, it can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles and strike others or overturn.
Over-the-Counter Drug Use: Nearly 17% of semi-truck accidents are caused by drivers who use over the counter medications. There are instances where drivers take medications that make them tired or unable to concentrate and react.
Inadequate Surveillance: Nearly 14% of accidents involving trucks are a result of inadequate surveillance. This is a common contributor to pedestrian-involved truck accidents as they are unable to see people passing close by.
Fatigue: Drivers are always in a hurry to reach their delivery points. As a result, they spend longer than they should on the road. Consequently, fatigued and drowsy drivers account for nearly 13% of collisions involving semi-trucks each year.
When drivers fail to maintain control over their vehicles, it can have life-changing consequences. Victims who are injured in truck accidents can benefit greatly by seeking the legal guidance of a skilled and knowledgeable truck accident attorney in New York City. We at Sullivan & Brill, LLP take great pride in having nearly three decades of experience handling hundreds of cases for victims across New York City.
Liability in Truck Accidents in New York City
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you may not be aware of the legal options available to you as you move forward. You can benefit greatly by reaching out to a truck accident attorney in New York City who is well-versed in the laws and regulations surrounding truck accidents.
Our attorneys at Sullivan & Brill, LLP can help you identify liable parties for your accident so you can collect the maximum amount of compensation available to you. Some parties who are often subjected to personal injury lawsuits following truck accidents in New York City include:
Truck Drivers: The driver of the truck often holds the largest percentage of responsibility for an accident. Given the fact that driver actions account for the majority of truck accidents, it only makes sense to hold these negligent parties accountable.
Trucking Company: Far too often, truck companies cut corners when it comes to hiring practices. When companies hire drivers who are not fully trained or adequately licensed, they can be held accountable for resulting accidents. Furthermore, companies that fail to maintain their vehicles and adhere to safety regulations or other negligent actions can be subject to civil consequences.
The Truck Owner: In cases where neither the driver nor the truck company owns the truck, the owner of the actual vehicle can be held liable for damages. This is particularly true in cases where truck owners do not verify that drivers are qualified to operate their vehicles.
Cargo Company: It is crucial that products are properly loaded onto truck trailers. Overloading, loading off-balanced, and engaging in reckless practices can cause vehicles to tip over. These accidents can be life-changing for those involved. When cargo and loading companies engage in reckless practices, they can be held liable for resulting injuries and damages suffered by truck accident victims.
Manufacturers: Semi-trucks need to function as intended. When brakes fail, accelerators jam, and other parts do not work properly, it can lead to drivers not being able to control their vehicles. Accidents caused by defective and malfunctioning parts can be the fault of manufacturers who cut corners while creating the parts or the vehicles.
Once you are able to identify all liable parties, you are better able to get the justice and compensation you deserve. Given the fact that commercial vehicle accidents are often covered by larger insurance policies, victims are better positioned to collect full and fair compensation for their resulting injuries and damages.
The attorneys at Sullivan & Brill, LLP have decades of experience helping accident victims hold wrongdoers accountable for their actions. We work diligently to ensure our clients are able to maximize their recoveries for various damages, including:
- Medical bills: Victims of truck accidents can recover compensation to cover doctor appointments, hospitalization, surgery, and various other medical expenses they endure.
- Long-term medical care and therapy costs: Given the catastrophic nature of most truck accidents, many victims require long-term care. Working with a responsive and knowledgeable legal team can help to ensure you are able to collect the maximum amount of compensation available to cover the long-term costs of future surgery, medical equipment, rehabilitation, and various other treatments.
- Lost Income: Truck accident victims often have to take time off work to recover. Our team strives to help accident victims collect compensation to cover the lost wages they endure throughout their treatment and recovery.
- Lost earnings: In cases where victims are forced out of work indefinitely, our team helps them get the compensation they deserve for the earnings they would have made had they been able to continue working.
- Pain and suffering: Then physical and emotional pain and suffering that victims of truck accidents have to endure are unfathomable to most. It is imperative that you are able to demonstrate the extent of pain and suffering you experience from your accident. A skilled truck accident attorney in New York City will be able to help guide you on how to show the courts the extent of suffering you deal with each day.
- Mental anguish: Victims injured in truck accidents are often left with posttraumatic stress disorders, anxiety, and depression. Our team will help you maximize recoveries to alleviate any costs of treatment for these and other mental health conditions resulting from your accident.
- Disfigurements: Being left with permanent scarring and disfigurements can have an overwhelming impact on victims. It is crucial that victims are able to recover the maximum amount of compensation available to alleviate some of the effects of permanent scarring and disfigurements.
- Loss of consortium: Although you may have been physically injured, the emotional and mental injuries are often far-reaching. Quite often, families in their entirety suffer after one of its members is harmed. Our team helps victims and their families obtain compensation for the loss of consortium.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: Being injured in a truck accident can have a life-changing impact on a person. In many cases, victims are just unable to perform tasks with the ease and enjoyment they once did. Our team strives to help our clients recover damages for the loss of enjoyment in cases where they are unable to engage in activities alone or with others like they did before their accidents.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is crucial that you act quickly. The state of New York imposes a strict statute of limitations that provides victims with a timeframe to which they must adhere when filing a claim. Passing the statute of limitation can impact your ability to get justice. Contact our team of New York City truck accident lawyers at Sullivan & Brill, LLP as soon as possible to get started with your claim.
Need Trusted Counsel? Call Sullivan & Brill, LLP Today
Every year, thousands of people across New York City are injured in truck accidents. These incidents are often caused by the negligent and reckless actions of others. Although many truck accidents are preventable, they happen far too often and have a life-changing impact on those involved.
Truck and commercial vehicle accidents are generally caused by factors that include unbalanced loads on the truck, fatigued or tired drivers, reckless driving, a truck following too close to another vehicle, a failure to look before changing lanes, a failure to adequately check blind spots, and other examples of distracted or inattentive driving. These are all negligent acts on behalf of the driver or trucking company. You do not need to move forward alone. Working with a knowledgeable and seasoned legal team can help to ensure your legal rights and best interests are protected.
Our team strives to advocate on behalf of accident victims to ensure they are able to hold wrongdoers accountable. We work diligently to help our clients obtain the maximum amount of compensation from those who caused them harm so they are able to move forward and reach their recovery goals.
Regardless of the type of accident you were injured in, our truck accident attorneys in New York City will help you pursue the legal options available for you. We fight to hold responsible parties accountable for their reckless behavior and aim to secure a favorable outcome on our clients' behalf.
At Sullivan & Brill, LLP, we take great pride in our knowledge surrounding truck accidents and personal injury claims following New York City accidents. We strive to provide our clients with the best opportunity to get the justice they deserve by protecting their legal rights. We take the best interest of our clients into consideration through every step of the legal process. We understand that they are the heart of each case and they are the parties most affected by our ability to provide them with responsive, effective, and reliable representation.
Our attorneys will thoroughly investigate and document the circumstances of the accident to show where fault and liability lie. Companies that own these trucks often go to great lengths to avoid liability, paying out as little as possible to individuals injured in the accident. You need a skilled lawyer on your side to pursue the claim and work to help you receive the just amount of compensation that you deserve.
To learn more about how we can help you recover maximum damages following a truck accident or an injury caused by a commercial vehicle, please contact a truck accident attorney at our New York City law firm today. Call our team today at (212) 566-1000. By scheduling a free no-obligation consultation at your earliest convenience, you can meet with our trusted truck accident attorneys in New York City to explore legal options available to help you recover.